Some Frequently asked questions and their answers:
- What do we mean by natural and man-made disaster?
Answer: A natural disaster is a major adverse event resulting from natural processes of the Earth, resulting in injuries or deaths, loss of properties etc. Examples: Flood, earthquake, tsunami, cyclone, cloudburst, avalanche, pest attack, hailstorm, drought, fire, landslide. Further examples of State specific natural disasters are- storm, lightening erosion.A man-made disaster is an adverse event attributed to human intent, error, negligence, or involving a failure of a man-made system, resulting in significant injuries or deaths, loss of properties etc. Examples: Extremist violence, ethnic violence, communal violence, group clash, acts of anti-social elements and miscreants, accidents occurred in public places or in public carriers etc.
- Where do we find the definition of disaster?
Answer: The definition of disaster is given in the Disaster Management Act, 2005.
- What do we mean by Gratuitous Relief (GR)?
Answer: GR means relief materials like Rice, Salt, Dal, M. Oil, drinking water, sanitation facilities etc. for the affected people, who take shelter in relief camps during man-made violence and natural calamities.
- What do we mean by Rehabilitation Grant (RG)?
Answer: RG means a lump sum amount for each of the affected families, whose house and household properties are burnt/damaged due to man-made violence and natural calamities.
- What is the meaning of Ex-gratia payment?
Answer: Ex-gratia means a lump sum amount which is provided to the NOK of a person killed in man-made violence and natural calamities.
- Who are entitled to receive GR, RG and Ex-gratia?
Answer: Each and every civilian, who is affected in man-made violence and natural calamities that may occur in the State, is entitled to receive GR, RG and Ex-gratia. But, the cases of all the Government employees are not considered for ex-gratia payment.
- Where do we find the guidelines / instructions regarding payment of GR, RG and Ex-gratia?
Answer: The guidelines / instruction regarding payment of GR, RG and ex-gratia are clearly mentioned in the Assam Disaster Management Manual, 2015.
- Who is the competent authority to accord sanction of GR, RG and Ex-gratia?
Answer: All Deputy Commissioners.
About Various Grants:
1) G.R.- Relief provided during natural disaster ,mainly flood.
2) R.G.- Rehabilation Grant is provided incase of flood, storm, fire etc.
3) Ex-Gratia: Ex-Gratia payment to NOK of deceased, persons died due to Flood, Lightening, Fire, Road Accident, Terrorist attack, during police firing etc.
4) SDRF: Maintanance & Repairing of Roads, Bridges that damage during flood.
5) Financial Assistance:- Assistant provided in case of animals death to beneficieries due to natural calamity.
6) Miscellaneous:- Any other correspondence related to Natural disaster time to time.